Growing up I insisted on having a real tree. In fact, I think I remember starting to shed some tears when my mom mentioned that maybe we would just get a fake tree one year? What a brat;) I can remember my mom up on a ladder in the living room for hours putting the lights on the tree. Every branch had a light on it. She would then call me in to do what I considered the fun part...decorate it. Why she never asked for our, or my dad's help to put the lights on, I do not know, but I can tell you she now has a pre-lit fake tree...had it since the Christmas I moved out.
The first Christmas Nick & I were married we bought a pre-lit pencil tree. I guess I got over having to have the real thing when I knew I would be the one putting the lights on. It was perfect for our little house, but since we moved into a house with much higher ceilings in the living room, I've been wanting a bigger tree. Every year I've said I'm gonna buy one when they go on sale after Christmas, but every single year after Christmas the last thing I want to do is spend more money!
This year we decided to go for the real thing. We loaded up on probably not the best night to buy a tree,(rainy & freezing) & went to Lowe's. Yes, I documented the occasion.
We first got distracted by Mickey Mouse
Apparently it was a good night, cause we were the only ones buying one at the time
Helping daddy push it all the way to the car
About 5 minutes into attempting to put the lights on, I decided that I was not cut out for the job & called Nick & told him I had a job for him when he got home. He picked up one end of the lights & literally began walking around the tree. He said that's the way they did it growing up & that my mom "ruined me" for Christmas (sorry, mama). I came behind him & adjusted a few areas, but left it like it was for the most part. It may not shine quite as brightly as my childhood trees, but I am pretty pleased with the way it turned out. And you just can't beat the way a real tree smells.
My attempt at my mantle
Buffet













No comments:
Post a Comment